“Go, baptize all the Nations in the Name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit.”
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, “Holy Baptism is the basis of the whole Christian life, the gateway to life in the Spirit, and the door which gives access to the other sacraments. Through Baptism we are freed from sin and reborn as sons of God; we become members of Christ, are incorporated into the Church and made sharers in her mission; ‘Baptism is the sacrament of regeneration through water in the word.”
For information regarding the celebration of the Sacrament of Baptism for infants and small children, please contact Carmen Cayon.
Guidelines for the Sacrament of Baptism
Baptisms are scheduled once a month on a Saturday. We ask all families planning to have a child baptized to consider the following policies:
1. Parents are, and have been for at least 3 months, registered members of our parish and do participate in Sunday Liturgy at Incarnation Church on a regular basis.
2. Paperwork must be complete the month prior to the month of baptism. Call 885-7861 to make an appointment to fill out the information form and receive the Parent Handbook to begin the process of preparation
3. To enable all families to enter into the celebration of their child’s baptism with “full, conscious, and active participation”, parents are required to come to two Preparation meetings.
Mtg. #1: Introduction Session : Exploring the faith commitment and responsibilities of parents who choose Baptism for their children: Chapters 1 and 2 of the Parent Handbook.
[ Parents may bring child to session.]
Mtg. #2: Orientation Session: Exploring the signs and symbols of Baptism through a summary of the parts of the ritual and their meaning: Chapter 3 of the Parent Handbook. [Parents, Godparents - Adults only]
4. Sponsors (Godparents) need to have a sincere interest in your child and be committed to support their godchild through prayer and good example. They need to be confirmed, practicing Catholics, worshiping on a regular basis and able to receive sacraments. Sponsors who are not registered members of our parish need a sponsor certificate or letter from their own parish stating they are eligible to be a sponsor for Baptism. One sponsor may be non-Catholic. They are officially called a witness rather than Godparent.
5. If parents are not able to attend the Baptismal Preparation sessions, the Baptism will be rescheduled for another month.
6. The normal stipend for Baptism is $50.00 and includes the cost of the Parent Handbook.
“Let the children come to me and do not prevent them; for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.”